LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Wednesday 9 April 2014

TIME TO REBUILD

Have you noticed the condition of our firepit in some of my latest blogs? Just a little wonky.



Notice the tilt on the blocks at the back. I thought it was from the ice melting under them but on closer inspection discovered the heat is deteriorating the cement in the blocks.

Today looks sunny and warm so I plan to build a new firepit using firebrick to line the firepit and keep the blocks from turning to powder.

I also want to fill the bottom with sand that slopes up towards the chimney as I heard this helps keep the heat closer to the pans on the fire.

I'll post pictures once I get that job done.

The header photos for today were taken at our friends Gerry and Jackie's sugar shack. It was great to visit them yesterday and spend some time watching them boil down the sap. I don't think we will ever have a sugar shack but we will fix our firepit.

Thanks for stopping by and safe travels everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment