LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Friday 5 July 2013

INTO MY GARDEN

Hi, Mary here. With Art taking a break from blogging, I thought I would update you on the Kelly goings on. We have been very busy with family and friends visiting. That is what summer is for!

Art has been busy clearing, cutting and stacking wood. I have been in the garden whenever I can. It is just a small plot, but we have been eating tender greens for a week now. 



The carrots, beets and parsnips are looking good. Not sure what is going on under the soil. Last year I had none of the above produce. So this year I have been very busy nurturing the soil with homemade teas.......compost, green (using fresh cut grass and leaves), brown (using dry leaves) and sea weed. The green tops look great... we will see in a few weeks.




Here is evidence of the first zucchini! So exciting. Last year my patty pan zucchini grew all summer long and only produced 4 small squash. The one below is a heritage dark green variety. I put all my zucchini in pots. I will keep count to see how many I get!





I am trying something new for me this year. Pole beans. I have 4 varieties. No flowers yet, but with Connie's help, I got the strings up and the runner beans took off.




See you in a week or so!



No comments:

Post a Comment