LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Wednesday 29 January 2020

TOO COLD TO START

It's -14*C this morning, cold enough to make the oil in the logsplitter as thick as molasses. I tried to warm everything up using the blowtorch; but since I really didn't know what I was doing decided to wait until the sun does its job.

One tire was flat so removed it and will get it repaired before the day is over.

Once everything is warmed up then it's back to splitting logs and stacking firewood. No need for a gym membership up here.

Time for a little breakfast and then back to work.

Thanks for stopping by and keeping an eye on us.

UPDATE

After breakfast I took out a bucket of hot coals and placed it under the motor. A half hour later it was easy to start and the wood is now stacked and drying.


6 comments:

  1. That was smart thinking on how to warm the oil to get the job done. Love your way of living, although I think I will do that much further south so as to not be quite as cold. I love the gardening box idea to keep the wildlife from eating all the harvest. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh the moving the wood, splitting the wood, stacking the wood, drying the wood, lol I moved 18months ago from being attached to a gas line in the South to the wilds of the Uk/Scotland border and have discovered how much wood takes up my life-loved the video of you both and your home,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a first time visitor to your blog. I'm not in a position to live off grid but the idea fascinates me and I greatly admire those who do. I saw your video and followed the link here😊. The hot coals idea was really creative and so simple a solution👍🏻. Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your video on youtube and followed the link to this blog, what a great life you created !
    Next time you have to install new batteries try lithium or lipo, better than lead/acid and less space. This amazing guy knows everything about offgrid solar and batteries: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FB Batteries is one area that is constantly improving and I'm sure in 5 years I will be looking at some very advanced, storage systems to choose from.

      Delete