LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Friday 20 November 2015

BREAKFAST of CHAMPIONS

My mom always said that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. She would remind me of this whenever I hurried off to school  too late to eat. 

Today there is no rush in the morning, no school to dash off to so I take a different approach, maybe too extreme in the other direction. 



This is my breakfast most mornings. I figure if I haven't eaten in 14 hours my body must be ready for some serious nutritional replacement. 

I start off with spinach and baby romaine lettuce, add carrot, cauliflower, beet, tomatoes, cucumber, ground flax seed, chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, goat cheese and mix in Mary's homemade delicious healthy salad dressing. I sometimes add a boiled egg or 1/2 can of tuna. I love tuna, ate it every day for lunch when in school. 

Now I'm sure that isn't the breakfast many would embrace with open arms, but it is full of fiber, nutrition and keeps me going all morning. It does take time to make and isn't the cheapest breakfast on the market but it has helped me lower my cholesterol numbers and at my age those numbers need to be as low as I can get them.

Let me know what your favourite breakfast is and what you are doing to stay healthy. I find it's a struggle so any help is appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to your input.

2 comments:

  1. Steel cut oatmeal with organic milled flax seed (from Costco) is our favourite! Fibre galore!! Swallowing our vitamins with 4 oz of orange juice (oops) and one slice of multi grain toast with peanut butter or jam (another oops) and bird friendly coffee (no sugar added). We think your breakfast is healthier than ours. We have our veggies at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori;

    Nothing wrong with oatmeal and a daily vitamin is wise too. Mary prefers porridge on a cold day, just can't imagine eating a salad in winter. Looks like more snow this weekend. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete