LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Sunday 29 May 2011

Chickadee

There is so much life close by that I often never see it. Case in point. We've had the bird house pictured below for years. Last fall we hung it in  tree, more for safe storage than anything else. (Click on picture to enlarge)


Yesterday I noticed it was leaning against the tree trunk at a crooked angle so stopped to adjust it. and out flew a bird just as startled as I was. A quick peek inside and I could see five or six little beige eggs with spots; Chickadee eggs.

I retreated to our trailer and watched. Finally she returned, went inside and in a few minutes the male arrived with a bug in its beak.

I'll try for some shots of the parents as they go in and out, but they're awful fast and don't stop to pose for their picture.

So there you have it; life so close and yet I didn't have a clue. I thought the bird-house was empty, not occupied by a family waiting for the eggs to hatch.

9:56 a.m.

I've been watching through the binoculars. They have been in and out a few times. This is the best picture so far..............  not even a blur. I'll keep trying.



Check out your neighbourhood. You may be surprised at what you find.

Enjoy the day.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see that bird house in use. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete