LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Thursday 19 April 2012

Mice and Fire

Spent yesterday morning installing aluminium screening around the base of our home. My theory is, if those little four legged creatures can't get up the wall, they can't get into the house. Time will tell if my theory is right.


Our crew start at 7 but I was up and going at 6 since I needed to get things done before they arrived and I would be in their way. Here I am cutting the screens into 4" strips. Look a little sleepy, don't I?



Yes, that's frost on our solar panels. It was cold this morning.



The horizontal strapping is just about done and the spray foam will be applied next week. That will really be exciting to see.



So here is a close up of the screen strips attached to the bottom plate. We still need to nail in a strip of 3" plywood along the bottom then cover it all with a strip of aluminium trim.




This is what you don't want to see when you drive into town. No idea what happened but this house will have to come down. The fire destroyed the inside to the point the roof is caving in. Be careful out there folks. Fire can happen quickly when you fail to take the necessary precautions.

Check back tomorrow for some good news. I just have to wait 24 hours before I can share it.

Safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment