LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Monday 14 November 2011

Gadgets and Driveways

Have you noticed how camping has changed? My parents gave me my first tent when I was in grade six. No, Mom wasn't encouraging me to run away. I think she thought "sleep-overs" would be easier if relegated to the backyard. That tent was made from canvas, had no floor, wooden poles, the ridge pole sagged under the weight of the canvas and all kinds of critters crawled under the walls which didn't always reach the ground.

To-day we no longer camp in canvas tents, we camp off the ground in vehicles that cost more than my first house and they have more gadgets than most people have in their home.


This is the gadget that has saved me money. Look closely in the bottom right corner. See the 44 and 72? The 72 is the speed in km. for the road you are on. The 44 is the speed you are driving at. For some roads the speed seems to change without notice and that's when the blue radar gun catches you in their cross-hairs. Time to pay up. This gadget helps to stack the cards more in your favour, of getting through the gauntlet without encountering a speeding ticket. I know it's helped me. I think we were just pulling away from a stop light, that would explain the great difference in speed. I prefer to pull the trailer just at the posted speed, not 30 km. below what is posted.


Driveway parking. We had a lovely time parked on Kathy and Steve's front lawn last week. We met them over the internet and spent two lovely days enjoying their friendly, southern hospitality. Thanks so much for making two strangers feel so welcome. We talked so much I forgot to get their picture. Guess we will just have to go back.

We had a great day driving A1A in Florida today. I'll write about that route in the morning.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. I love the beach picture in your header. Thank goodness for new and old friends!

    ReplyDelete