LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Friday 10 July 2020

GARDEN UPDATE

Our gardens are in full production. We've never had better crops. We have seven raised beds each about 10 ft x 3 ft. (3m x 1m) as well as two hugelkultur hills.(Used for centuries in Eastern Europe and Germany, hugelkultur (in German hugelkultur translates roughly as “mound culture”) is a gardening and farming technique whereby woody debris (fallen branches and/or logs) are used as a resource ) In the top right corner you can see our water tank that collects rainwater and holds 250 gallons. (946 litres)

We are now able to add our own cucumbers to our salads.  Mary picks 1 every day but soon there will be more to pick. Time to get creative with new recipes.

Our raised beds are a mixture of produce. Here we have green onions in the foreground, kale and parsley in the background and a new planting of carrots in the middle. Carrots don't like the heat so I'm experimenting with lettuce leaves to provide shade and keep the soil moist.

Still lots of kale for my smoothies. It also keeps well in the freezer for later use.

The peas are using our bed covers as a trellis which makes for easy picking.

The vines are loaded and we pick 150-200 grams of shelled peas daily. Excess peas are frozen and will be added to Penny's meals this winter.

As the romaine lettuce becomes too bitter to eat we pull it and plant other crops. Here we have our second planting of green onions and radishes. Mary just came in with her first picking of broccoli another crop she has had limited success with. I think our success this year is due to our compost application and no till approach to planting.. We have learned the less you disturb the soil and the more organic material you feed it, the greater your harvest.

Thanks for stopping by and keeping an eye on us.


4 comments:

  1. What wonderful gardens! I'm a newby gardener, just put in two raised beds at the start of the year and am trying for no till as well. I'm so pleased by how little work it's been on a daily basis, just the joy of home grown veggies. 😁 I do need to put in some new plants that resist the heat better, our Mississippi temps are soaring! I think I'm going to try baby bok choi! I'm enjoying your blog and beautiful lifestyle, thank you for taking to time to record it! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia;;

      Thanks for the kind words and the very best with trying new plants. That's the beauty of gardening we are always learning something new. Hope you are composting, that's the secret to a successful, healthy garden.

      Delete
    2. I do have a little compost bin that bn I'm filling as well. It is such a relief to know that at least my kitchen scraps aren't going in the landfill (we don't have much recycling in my tiny town. I'm also mulching heavily with leaves and hoping between that and the compost I'll have rich, loamy soil for many years. I'm excited to be able to garden pretty much year round too. ❤ So many fun things to learn! I found your blog through a YouTube search for solar power, I would love to put in a system. I just need to talk my husband into it! 😁 thank you again!

      Delete
  2. Hi Julia;

    Sounds like you are doing all the right things and have everything under control. We went with solar as the hydro company quoted us $45 - $75,000 to bring hydro to our lot. We did the solar for $30,000 so saved a considerable amount of money.
    Enjoy your gardens and the vegetables.

    ReplyDelete