LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Friday 22 February 2019

SPLITTING WOOD

Up  here everyone is busy getting their wood in for next winter. Yesterday I was over helping Durl split wood. Durl did most of the splitting ................  I helped load the ATV.

When I split wood I use a gas powered splitter.

 Durl does it the way he did when he was a boy, with an axe, one swing at a time.


Now I won't reveal Durl's age but I will say when I was in high school Durl was out teaching. He's split a lot of wood.


You can order a truck load of fire logs for $800 to $1,000 dollars depending on the type of wood in the load. It is delivered and stacked where you want and then it's up to you to cut, split and stack it. The pile you see behind Durl will give him enough firewood for three years.

These little side-by-side ATVs are a versatile machine to have. They have four wheel drive and are essential for so many jobs around your property. Once we had the bed loaded we took it up to the storage area. I appreciated the opportunity to sit down for a few minutes.

Stacked and drying it will be ready to burn come October.

Looks like we are ready to get more wood.

Just another day back in the bush.

Safe travels everyone and thanks for stopping by. Time to throw another log on the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment