LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Wednesday 27 March 2019

USE A CHAIN

I've been splitting wood with a hydraulic splitter since we moved here but this year I'm using an axe. Yes, more work, more muscle needed but it's a good workout for this old body. I watched an 80 year old swing an axe and split a truck load of logs this winter. Inspired.

This is my work area, close to the house with easy access. I have two trees down and eight more down on the east side of the house. That should keep me busy for a few weeks.

I got tired of stooping over after every swing to readjust the log.

My solution was to wrap four logs with a chain and bungee cord. It holds everything in place, which reduces my stooping and chasing chunks that fly out of range. Some folks use an old tire, I simply had an old chain handy.

Our roof is now snow free but we still have lots of snow in the bush. Sap is flowing today, folks are making maple syrup. We are splitting wood.

Thanks for stopping by.

Safe travels everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment