LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Wednesday 19 January 2022

WINTER

 

Winter arrived with a wallop this week . I thought you might enjoy some pictures taken this month.


Our chickens continue to give us six delicious eggs a day. After yesterday's storm the snow load was too great on the chicken coops so I pulled ofas much snow as I could .


The snow reaches the top of our raised garden beds which are 18 inches or 45.7 cm tall.

Our wood supply is h
alf gone but we still have more than enough to get us through until  April. 

This is 
next year's supply and I have another 20 logs waiting to be cut split and stacked to dry. I'm never out of work.


This photo was taken January 6th. Thanks for stopping by and stay safe everyone.

3 comments:

  1. So lovely to get a chance to see the snow pictures. WOW it did come quickly when it decided to come. Happy to get caught up with your chickens and wood supply. We have been burning more wood than usual thanks to these very chilly days and nights. Lisa and Matt built a garage and put the radiant floor heating in and they are noticing that they are burning much more wood in their outside furnace. Matt hopes their wood supply will last. He does have logs waiting to be split. Trying to keep a year's wood ahead is the way to go.
    Hope all is well with you folks and Mary is getting ready for her big day which is coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day I am from South Africa and saw your video about a year ago and I thought it was just great the way you are living. I wanted to share it with my husband but I never got a chance to and then could never find the video again. Tonight I saw a video in my recommended videos and lo and behold when I watched it it was yours. I enjoyed it tonight as much as I enjoyed it the first time. We live in a town in South Africa yet off grid living seems very appealing to me because we have a lot of power and water problems in this town but also in many places of our country. I have been trying to inspire my husband to use solar panels and drill for water for quite some time. When I saw your video I really thought he would be able to relate to you as a couple and finally understand what I want to do and what the benefits could be. I am a realistic though and that it is not all moonshine and Roses but it would be just so worth trying. For the first time I realised that you have a blog too. It was lovely to see your snow photos. Where we are it gets extremely hot so we won't even have the cost of heating with the solar panels and the batteries. This will obviously make it even more affordable.
    Our Summers are usually about 104 Fahrenheit and winter hardly goes below 64 Fahrenheit . You are a beautiful couple and extremely inspiring. Many blessings. Corné

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the kind words and so good to hear from friends. Stay safe and well everyone.

    ReplyDelete