LIVING OFF GRID

This blog is about our travels in our solar powered "Airstream" and living off grid, in our passive solar home, near Bancroft, Ontario, Canada.

If you have any questions send us a comment; we love to hear from our readers.
Click on pictures for larger view

Wednesday 21 January 2009

Icicles, Design Team and Hearing Aids


Have you noticed how many homes have long icicles hanging from the eves? When we were kids we loved to break those icicles off and have sword fights. As a home owner you don't want to see icicles on your roof. Not because kids might like to play with them but because they are a sign of a serious heat loss problem with your house. If you are thinking of buying a house, check it out on a cold winter's day. You will soon know if it's well insulated.

Yesterday was President Barack Obama's inauguration and the US has high hopes for this young man. I read his speech and watched the cheering crowds as he mingled with the folks on Pennsylvania Ave. Lets hope that he is able to maintain the momentum and keep the people focused on recovery rather than despair for the future. I wish him well.


While the inauguration was unfolding life continued as usual for the majority of folks back here in our home-town. I drove Mary to work then went to find my address on College St. for my 10 o'clock appointment. It was a pleasure meeting Tom & Christine from Solares design and discussing our plans and dreams for Bancroft. Next step is to snowshoe our property with them on February 14th (How's that for a Valentine's Day treat?)


After lunch, I was off to Mount Sinai Hospital where I had a fitting for my hearing aids. Yes, I feel too young for hearing aids but Mary is getting tired of repeating everything, so these seem like a logical solution. I'll let you know how they work out.


Today it's more of the routine, so I need to get ready for the gym. Have a great day and be sure to help someone wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I recognize that house, Grandma and Grandpas!
    How's the hearing adjustment coming along? I checked out the solares web site, how did you find them? Looks good.

    ReplyDelete